Archetype of the Seine riverboat, la Gribane, in the name probably derived from "Gabare" (also called Gabanne), had nautical quality more important than the gabares of the Loire. Length of about twenty meters for eight wide and 90 tons, it is a flat-bottomed load boat that appeared in the 15th century (mentions but no engravings) and was the main cargo ship of Seine until its replacement in the 19th century by steamboats. It was found at Seine-Maritime, from Rouen to Le Havre, on the Normandy and Picardy coast. Although wide, its ends are pointed, the stern is very inclined and the saffron large. It carries a single mast on the front rigged to the third with a sail with horn and boom, a staysail and a jib mounted on the boat.
The last of them, Joble, was motorized and preserved in the Marine Museum of the Seine. Gabanne is quoted as early as 1436. "Afterwards, the two Englishmen of the Crotoy had two boats, named Gabanne, by whom they often employed those of Abbeville. (Monstrelet) By a stop of the State Console of 1612, it is defined as being 50 to 60 tons.